What Is Keno
Keno is a variation of a lottery game. It is among the oldest gambling games and has been played by people for over three thousand years. The difference between lottery and keno is that in keno a player has to pick 10, 15 or 20 numbers out of a set of 80 numbers, and has to try to match as many numbers as possible from the draw of 20 numbers to maximize the earnings. In a lottery, the player has to match the exact combination of numbers that has been drawn to win the prize.
Online keno is played using the same set of rules as in land-based casinos, but definitely has some advantages:
- Accessibility and Environment – the opportunity to play anytime you want and do what is comfortable for you during the game
- Choice – the gambler can pick out the best games with the great payouts
- Free Practice – the option to play a free game before playing for real money
- Bonuses – many online casinos have the welcome or sign-in bonuses
- Payouts – usually, online keno gives higher payouts comparing to the land-based casinos
- Big jackpots for less bet – have access to some big jackpots for bets as low as $1 or even 1c
How To Play Keno
The player has to pick 10, 15 or 20 numbers at random from a set of 80 numbers and mark them on a keno card. After this, a player has to select a wagering amount and the number of times he/she wants to play the game with the same set of numbers. The set of numbers that you choose will remain the same for a single play or number of times you want to play. You cannot change them until the game has been played for the number of times you had selected earlier.
You can select a different set of numbers after the game has been completed. The selection of the numbers can be made either by you or by using the option of quick picks in which case the numbers will be randomly selected for you.
The player then has to click the play button to start the game. The online keno games make use of a random number generator to draw the 20 numbers instead of the traditional rabbit ear blower used in casinos. The winnings, if any, are decided on the number of matches or “hits” that are made. The more numbers you predict successfully out of the drawn numbers, the higher your payout will be.
A table on the left of the screen will show the player the amount of hits and their subsequent payout values. These values are known as paytables and vary from casino to casino. The final result shows the hits made by the player and the amount he/she has won will be displayed on the right side of the screen.
Odds to win
The probability of predicting a perfect 20 numbers out of the 20 drawn numbers is around 1 in 3.5 quintillion, and no one has been able to accomplish this in the long history of keno so far.
However, there are better odds for predicting 5 to 8 numbers correctly out of the 20 drawn numbers. It is therefore, extremely important to view the paytables and check the amount of money that you gain by making 5 to 8 hits as that is the amount that you are most likely to win in a keno game.
Keno Strategy To Increase Winnings
Although the odds of winning the maximum prize (making 20 hits) in an online keno game are next to impossible, there are strategies that can help you in earning a fair share of the spoils.
Don’t pick many numbers
The first strategy is to pick no more than 6 numbers instead of the full 10, 15 or 20. This will greatly increase your chances of making more hits than picking the full range of numbers.
Another strategy that you can benefit from is to play multi-race cards. This way you will only have to pick the numbers once, and that same set of numbers will be used for multiple draws. It will save you a great deal of time and will greatly increase your chances of winning too.
Pick numbers that haven’t come up
Yes, outcomes in this game are determined by the Random Number Generator, but very often this simple tactics can give a perfect result.
Tips on how to win Keno
- Play the game for free a couple of times to get an idea how the game is played. This will make you more confident in playing the game without losing any money and will give you the time to devise a strategy that works for you.
- Pick consecutive numbers. It has been observed that consecutive numbers are mostly likely to appear in a draw.
- Find the place with the best maximum payout. This can be the best way to decrease the house edge.
Keno Terms To Know
The following are some of the terms that you are most likely to come across when playing keno online.
- All or Nothing – A keno ticket that can pay you in two ways, either when you predict all the numbers correctly or do not get a single hit.
- Blank – A keno ticket that has not been played as of yet.
- Catch – A number that had been marked by the player and gets picked during the draw.
- Draw – The set of 20 numbers that are picked at random for each keno game.
- Hit – The instance when a number that has been chosen by the player matches one of the numbers that have been drawn.
- House Edge – The advantage that the casino has over the player. It is expressed in percentages and is usually around 30%.
- Rate Card – The card that displays the rate at that each of the winning bets is going to be paid.
- Spot – One of the numbers out of a possible 20 numbers that have been selected by the player for a keno game.
- Wager – The amount of money that a player is willing to risk for a keno game.
Online keno is among the most popular and one of the most extensively played gambling games in the world and has a very long history. Although the chances of winning big money in this game are slim, it is extremely entertaining. If you use a few strategies and play intelligently, you will certainly win some cash.
Is online keno better than traditional keno?
Online keno has a number of advantages over traditional keno. First of all, it is fast and the chances of winning are much higher.
How much can I win playing online keno?
You can win anywhere between $100,000 to $1 million by playing online keno, but the winnings might vary from website to website.
Is hitting all the numbers necessary to win?
No, you will be able to win a portion of the money if you can hit a good amount of the numbers that have been drawn.